Thursday, November 4, 2010

IMMORTAL Cirque

I've always been a Cirque du Soleil fan and I despise when people say "Circus du Soleil."  (That's two languages!)  Today I learned that the French-Canadian circus company recently began selling tickets to their Michael Jackson THE IMMORTAL World Tour, which will feature the King of Pop's music and moves.  Sure, I'd consider myself an MJ fan, not because I feel any innately significant connection to his music but simply because I did grow up in America, where he happens to be a legend and an icon despite his questionable decision-making skills.

There is a unifying narrative woven throughout the show, which takes place in Neverland, "a fantastical realm where we discover Michael's inspirational Giving Tree - the wellspring of his creativity. The secrets of Michael's inner world are unlocked - his love of music and dance, fairy tale and magic, and the fragile beauty of nature."

I'm interested to see where this story takes us.  First of all, the Giving Tree is an intriguing character in the storyline.  The children's book of the same name by Shel Silverstein always had dark undertones to me.  The boy in the book and the Giving Tree shared an odd relationship, unhealthy and somewhat abusive (or maybe I'm just entirely too cynical.)  Anyhow, I'm assuming that Michael's Giving Tree will represent his fame and fortune, which provides for him nearly anything he could ever want, just as the Giving Tree did for the young boy in the children's book.  So I'm curious to see how they will portray Michael's Giving Tree as "inspirational" or if they're going to allow some of its inherent darkness (that I think is there) to shine through.  I could really see it working either way.

Also - "fragile beauty of nature?"  By the time he passed, there was nothing natural about Michael Jackson and I doubt he had any concept of fragility either considering the amount of synthetic drugs he consumed regularly.  I found that phrase to be an odd choice of words in the show description.

No comments:

Post a Comment