Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Anonymity and Digital Cardboard

You are here.  Thank you for coming!  I'm new to the world of blogging and very intimidated by it.  I generally try to keep my name out of anything world wide, the web included.  I'm from a very small, rural town where everyone knows everything about everyone else and their mothers, their grandmothers, their best friends, their ex-best friends, and all past and present significant others.  So I value anonymity. 

I recently purchased a Mac and am slowly becoming more comfortable with it but I still struggle with the simplest of tasks sometimes.  I've been bothering random acquantances that I have collected over the years that I happen to know own Macs with my inane questions, like how to open up multiple windows in Safari.  I'm not even friends with most of these people anymore.  I'm sure they're probably wondering why I still have their phone numbers.  Anyhow, I enjoy taking my Mac in public.  People look at me like I'm a trendy, well-informed consumer.  In my head, they're saying, "Oh wow, she's one of those tech-saavy young people.  She must have all kinds of impressive projects on that fancy machine."  (Like I said, I'm from a small, rural town.)  Of course, I don't have all kinds of impressive projects on my fancy machine, but I do have some pieces that I find personally fulfilling that I've created playing around in Illustrator and Photoshop.  And iMovie.  I LOVE iMovie. 

I've always been particularly interested in how and why words and images are laid out on the printed page as they are.  When I was very young, I wrote and designed a publication called the Daily Dellava out of construction paper and cardboard.  My mom still has a few issues of it.  At first, I didn't understand why the real newspapers and magazines looked SO much better than mine.  When it was explained to me that machines were used to make them digitally, I got very excited to use what I called "digital cardboard" to enhance my own periodical. 

Well, hopefully I have sufficiently exposed myself for this first post.  I'm really enjoying the Pub Design program at UB and very much looking forward to expanding my skill set and knowledge in this exciting field of digital cardboard.

1 comment:

  1. I get lost for HOURS in iMovie and photo booth. Have you played around in photo booth, where it lets you distort your face? Endless entertainment...

    ReplyDelete